After a family evacuates, firefighters save their dog from a garage fire in Mandan.
Firefighters were dispatched to a garage fire in Mandan around 9:32 Saturday morning.
When they arrived, the garage was fully engulfed in flames.
Two adults, two children, and the family's dog were in the home when the fire began--but the family escaped before crews got there.
The adult man experienced smoke inhalation when he attempted to rescue his pet and was taken to the hospital by a private vehicle.
According to Captain Patrick Martin, once the fire was under control, firefighters went into the smoke-filled home to search for the animal.
Though it was difficult to see, they found the dog on the lower level.
"We just were looking for him and he came out of a back bedroom or something and we grabbed him and took him out," says Captain Patrick Martin.
Martin says newer construction and plastics can result in toxic smoke, which makes it difficult to rescue animals from smoke inhalation.
"It doesn't happen that often because of the toxins and stuff that are in the smoke. So unfortunately, most of the animals, pets do succumb to that before we can get there. We are just grateful we were able to do it today," says Martin.
Martin says the fire was contained and under control within around 15 minutes.
There was some smoke and water damage to the home, and the garage is a total loss.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>