Yesterday's storm kept most of us in the house where we were warm and safe.
However, being inside may mean danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide is an odorless colorless gas caused by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels.
Furnaces not working properly or vents clogged with snow and ice on the roof of a home are common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Newer houses with vents on the side of the house can be effected with snow blowing side ways.
Minot Fire Marshall, Ed Hausauer says every home should have a working carbon monoxide detector and to make sure your gas meter is cleared.
The Fire Marshall also believes anyone living in a R-V should take extra caution because R-V's are equipped for summer use and not intended for year round occupancy.
Hausauer cautions anyone attempting to clean their own vents.
(Edward Hausauer, Fire Marshall) "If you feel that the ice and snow is plugging your vents on top of you roof, call a professional. Tell them to go up there and clean it up. The roofs are very dangerous, full of snow and ice and if you don't have the proper equipment you can slip and fall."
When buying a carbon monoxide detector, look for products rated U-L or F-M and should be changed after five years of use.