Information contained on this page is provided by companies via press release distributed through PR Newswire, an independent third-party content provider. PR Newswire, WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith.
SOURCE National League of Cities
WASHINGTON, March 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Local elected officials will convene in Washington, DC next week to meet with Congressional and Administration officials to discuss the need for comprehensive immigration reform, keeping the tax exemption for municipal bonds and ending the online sales tax 'break.' The Congressional City Conference is the annual legislative meeting of the National League of Cities (NLC) which provides city leaders the opportunity to discuss how federal policy issues impact local communities.
General sessions, workshops and panels will also focus on education reform, ending gun violence, and the federal budget debate. For more information about the conference or to view a schedule of events, visit: www.nlc.org/ccc
Members of the media are invited to attend the conference free of charge.
WHAT: NLC's Congressional City Conference
WHEN: March 9-13, 2013
WHERE: Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, Washington, DC
- Vice President Joe Biden (Tuesday, March 12, 12:30pm)
- General Martin Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (Monday, March 11, 3:45pm)
- Secretary Shaun Donovan, U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (Monday, March 11, 3:45pm)
- Mayor Vincent Gray, District of Columbia (Monday, March 11, 9:00am)
- Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers, City of Avondale, AZ and NLC President (Monday, March 11, 9:00am)
- Frank Luntz, Pollster and Communications Consultant (Monday, March 11, 9:00am)
- Senator John McCain (R-AZ) (Tuesday, March 12, 12:30pm)
- Mayor Michael A. Nutter, City of Philadelphia, PA (Monday, March 11, 9:00am)
- Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services (Monday, March 11, 3:45pm)
- Secretary Tom Vilsack, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture (Tuesday, March 12, 12:30pm)
- Former Congressman J.C. Watts (R-OK) (Tuesday, March 12, 12:30pm)
- Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano will address delegates at Comprehensive Immigration Reform –What Does It Mean for Cities?, where she will be joined by NLC President Marie Lopez Rogers, mayor, Avondale, AZ. (Tuesday, March 12, 8:30am)
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers will be the featured speaker at Educating America, moderated by NLC First Vice President Chris Coleman, mayor, St. Paul, MN. The panel will discuss how city elected officials can work with school boards, unions, and superintendents to influence school reform. (Tuesday, March 12, 8:30am)
- Ed Rendell, Former Pennsylvania Governor and Co-Chair, Campaign to Fix the Debt will headline a panel on Protecting Cities in the Federal Budget Debates (Tuesday, March 12, 8:30am)
The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
National League of Cities
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.