Sales Tax Refund for Flood Victims - - Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickinson-KXNEWS,ND

Sales Tax Refund for Flood Victims

Posted: Updated:

Victims of flooding in 2011 across the state are now eligible for a tax refund.

A law passed by the 2013 state legislature promises refunds of sales taxes for people who received FEMA individual assistance and who spent money repairing their flooded homes, or replacing a flooded home with a new structure.

And today, the state tax commissioner came to Minot to announce the procedures for accessing the refund are now in place.

Cory Fong was joined by local state legislators who were part of the effort to find some way for the state to help the thousands of people who took a severe financial hit from the flood.

In order to get the refund, you'll have to provide receipts showing the tax was paid on eligible items.

And Fong says it's important to seek out information from people you paid to do work for you.

(Cory Fong, ND Tax Commissioner) "If you worked with a contractor you're going to want to contact your contractor because the contractor likely passed that tax on to you so you want to go and get receipts that your contractor had to show that the state sales tax was paid by the contractor."

The forms required for the sales tax refund are available online at

There is a maximum refund of 25-hundred dollars per household.

Quick Clicks
View list
What's happening?
Lottery Results
Feeling lucky?
Viewer Photos
Submit yours!
Road Report
Current conditions
TV Listings
See what's on
Gas Prices
Check near you
E-Mail Newsletter
Signup now

Most Popular

Powered by WorldNow
General information or questions:

Phone: 701-223-9197
News Fax: 701-223-1985

Phone: 701-852-2104
News Fax: 701-838-1050
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KXNET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.