The Minot water supply has a new smell and look to it this month, but the good news is, the change was intentional.
The Minot Water Treatment plant made a short-term switch from chlorimine to 'free chlorine' early in October
in response to concerns about discolored water.
'Free chlorine' is safe to drink but it does have a stronger odor and a 'less palatable' taste in comparison to chlorimine.
Both are disinfectants, but 'free chlorine' works more quickly and tends to be stronger, therefore, the unused material runs through household pipes as well.
(Dan Jonasson, Minot Public Works Director) "Some systems will do it once a year. We don't like to do it any more often than we have to because with that we get the complaints on the bad tastes and the bad smell and everything."
The city switched back to the chlorimine on Monday.
Chlorimine is odorless and tasteless and tends to last longer in the pipes, which helps with the transport of NAWS water.
Jonasson says the 'free chlorine' flush was just a precaution.
(Dan Jonasson, Minot Public Works Director) "We do the testing at the plant, every day. We test for bacteria, chloroforms, all of that before it goes out to the community. We can't afford not to. It was just an extra precaution."
Depending on water distribution in your area, you may have noticed the changes later than other parts of town --- likewise, it may take longer to clear the free chlorine out of some areas than others.