Rio Tinto CEO to leave over destruction of Indigenous sites

Rio Tinto chief executive Jean-Sebastien Jacques attends an annual general meeting in Perth, May 9, 2019. Jacques will leave the Anglo-Australian mining giant by March, 2021, over the destruction of the sacred sites, the company said on Friday, Sept. 11, 2020. (Will Russell/AAP Image via AP)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Rio Tinto chief executive Jean-Sebastien Jacques will leave the Anglo-Australian mining giant by March over the destruction of Australian Indigenous sacred sites to access iron ore, the company said on Friday.

“Significant stakeholders have expressed concerns about executive accountability for the failings identified,” Rio Tinto said in a statement.

By mutual agreement, Jacques will step down once a replacement has been appointed or on March 31, whichever happens sooner, the statement said.

Executives Chris Salisbury and Simone Niven will leave the company on Dec. 31.

Rio Tinto announced last month that Jacques would lose $3.5 million in bonuses and Salisbury and Niven around $700,000 each over the destruction in May of two rock shelters in Juukan George in Western Australia state that had been inhabited for 46,000 years.

Rio Tinto concluded in an internal review last month that there was “no single root cause or error that directly resulted in the destruction of the rock shelters.”

But internal documents revealed last week that Rio Tinto had engaged a law firm in case the traditional owners, the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura people, applied for a court injunction to save the rock shelters

The Western Australian government has promised to update Indigenous heritage laws that allowed Rio Tinto to legally destroy the sacred sites.

Jamie Lowe, chief executive of the National Native Title Council, which represents Australia’s traditional owners of the land, said he had called on Rio Tinto to take more action than cutting executive bonuses.

Lowe welcomed the decision to replace the three executives.

“There needs to be a consistent theme of them showing that they are conscious of Aboriginal cultural heritage and its protection,” Lowe said of mining companies.

The rock shelters’ traditional owners had no comment to make on the Rio Tinto leadership changes, Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura Aboriginal Corp. said.

“We will continue to work with Rio Tinto in the aftermath of the Juukan Gorge disaster. Our focus continues to rest heavily on preserving Aboriginal heritage and advocating for wide-ranging changes to ensure a tragedy like this never happens again,” the corporation said in a statement.

“We cannot and will not allow this type of devastation to occur ever again,” the statement added.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Videos

Class B Volleyball

WDA Volleyball

WDA Volleyball

Hospitalizations & COVID-19

Shiloh Christian Football

Our Redeemers Volleyball

Road Train Study

Picture Day

New Pollbooks

Speedy CNA Training

KX Storm Team Full Evening Forecast w/Tom Schrader 9/29

Rugby Doc Research

Garrison PD Update

Amber's Tuesday Morning #OneMinuteForecast 9/29

Tuesday's Forecast: warmer and windy

cold brew

NDC SEPT 29

KX Storm Team Full Evening Forecast w/Tom Schrader 9/28

Becker for Health Officer

Legacy Boy's Tennis

More Video

KX News Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss