Last night, we reported that there was a camper explosion in Lone Tree.
Today, we found out the details learning that the camper was home to someone and that the fire caused permanent damage.
“Well I heard this explosion,” said Carol Cogdill, Neighbor.
Carol Cogdill lives down the road and when she heard the explosion she had to find out what happened.
“I seen this black smoke just pillar up and I just thought I’m going to go see what it is,” said Cogdill.
It was around 7pm when firefighters got the notice that this camper was up in flames. According to the Des Lacs assistant fire chief, the camper owner was doing vehicle maintenance. A while later he went to neighbors house, not expecting what came next.
“Shortly after they were at the neighbors house they had seen smoke coming from the camper,” said Kelly Grotte, Des Lacs Assistant Fire Chief.
Once the owner and his neighbors got closer they realized there was a bigger problem.
“They grabbed the fire extinguisher out of the camper and tried to extinguish the fire but campers – they go up in flames to easy,” said Grotte.
“I couldn’t tell what it was but when I came by here it was a big ball of flame,” said Cogdill.
Grotte says that campers are made out thin material making it easier for the flames to spread. The other problem firefighters faced was the wind.
“The wind was a huge factor in creating the mass amounts of heat and how fast the fire spread,” said Grotte.
“I could feel the heat from over here,” said Cogdill.
And with that, the camper became a total loss and the owner without his home.
“I mean we did the best we could to get it out,” said Grotte.
Grotte says that the fire inspector ruled the cause as an electrical issue and his advice to others is to always make sure that you have items unplugged before you leave your home.
Des Lacs, Burlington, and Berthold fire departments responded and got the fire contained in about 20 minutes.
Grotte says no injuries were reported.