The latest statewide “Click It Or Ticket” enforcement campaign resulted in more than 2,000 citations issued.
The effort to reduce vehicle accidents, injuries and deaths ran from November 1 to December 15.
During that period, a total of 2,071 citations were issued from law enforcement patrols specifically working on the campaign.
Breaking down the total:
- 797 were for speeding
- 731 were citations for failure to wear a seat belt
- 194 other traffic citations (i.e. disobeying traffic signals, equipment violations)
- 78 citations for uninsured motorists
- 68 suspended/revoked license violations
- 30 drug arrests
- 26 were child restraint citations
- 12 citations for distracted driving
- 5 citations for driving under the influence (DUI)
In 2020, 60 percent of motor vehicle fatalities in North Dakota involved people not wearing their seat belt. Law enforcement officials say using seat belts is the single most effective safety device to prevent death and injury in a motor vehicle crash.