UPDATE June 9, 2023:

MINOT, ND (KXNET) — A six-year-old Minot boy who nearly drowned in a public pool June 7 is back home and expected to make a complete recovery.

According to a social media post by the mother, she and her six-year-old son were back in Minot late Friday morning following medical care in Fargo.

She notes the “EKG came back fine and clear and he was able to walk and be discharged. Now we just have to watch out for signs of lung infection, which he would need antibiotics for but the doctor said he believes the lungs will clear on their own.”

The mother was again appreciative of all the support she and her son have received since the near-drowning incident June 7.

“Our minds are absolutely blown at the amount of support we have received from family, friends, acquaintances, and complete strangers,” she writes. “We have never felt so cared for or that we were part of such a community. Thank you to everyone for all your prayers, thoughts, vibes, worries, donations, for our boy. It has all been so helpful in this strange, awful time.”

She also thanked the people who helped her son at the pool, from spotting him in the water to pulling him out and doing CPR and everyone else that had a part in his full recovery.



MINOT, N.D. (KXNET) — A 6-year-old Minot boy is doing remarkably well after nearly drowning in a public pool on Wednesday afternoon.

According to the Minot Police Department, the boy was found unresponsive in the water at Roosevelt Park Pool around 3:30 p.m. When the Minot Fire Department showed up, they immediately started CPR.

The boy was taken to Trinity Hospital, where he was initially treated. He was later airlifted to the Sanford Medical Center in Fargo between 8:30 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

On Thursday morning, June 8, the mother of the boy said he was, “up watching cartoons this morning, he’s a little bit out of it still but talking to us and feeling pretty good besides his chest being sore from the CPR and says his throat hurts. He says he is starving and wants breakfast but can’t have anything yet.”

She notes tests so far indicate the boy is “going to be OK.”

“The amount of support we have received during this incident has been so profound and we are feeling so much love, we are so grateful and fortunate to have such caring people in our lives,” the mother adds. “You are all so appreciated. A big thank you to the staff at the pool, bystanders, paramedics and everyone who worked together quickly and efficiently to save my little boy’s life. Today could be very different. If it weren’t for all of them this sweet little boy wouldn’t be laying here smiling at me right now. He’s one tough little dude.”