Cause determined of fire that led to explosion at Minot home

Local News

Fire officials now know the cause of a home fire that led to an explosion early Monday morning.

The Minot Fire Inspector found that a recreational fire was not entirely extinguished.

Hot coals fell out of the fire pit and ignited the deck. Carpeting on the deck also caught fire and was the fuel source that led to flames inside the home.

The explosion came from aerosol cans stored on the deck.

“It’s just a good point to prove that recreational fires over time, especially at night and into the morning time when the humidity drops, that the fire can change and it can work those coals into a fire and cause an issue,” MFD Battalion Chief Austin Burns said. “So a good point to make sure that recreational fires are stirred up and put out correctly.”

Burns stressed to stir the coals and continuously put water on them until the hot spots are completely out.

The home on 2nd Avenue SW is considered to be of significant loss but not total.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Sports News

More Local Sports

Latest State News

See More State News

Latest National News

More National News

Inside KXNET.COM

More Don't Miss

KX News Trending Stories