Fire prevention tips during the holidays

Local News

It’s once again that time of year when people are decking the halls, and the Bismarck fire marshall says a dried-out Christmas tree can go up in flames quicker than a piece of paper, so we have some tips from the fire department on what you need to know to make sure your family avoids a holiday catastrophe.

When shopping for a tree there is a test to make sure it is not already too dry. Simply shake the tree and if a good amount of needles fall off, it’s too dry.

Also, fire officials say to make sure you place your tree at least three feet away from any heat source.

As for all those twinkling decorations, make sure to check the lights for any wear and tear, especially on the wires, and if there are, throw them away.

However, the Bismarck fire marshall says candles are actually the leading cause of house fires.

“Give it a foot space from anything that can burn. Make sure you set your candles on a sturdy candle base or stand that won’t tip over. And leave a candle unattended. If you’re leaving the room, just put it out,” said Owen Fitzsimmons.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Videos

NDC JAN 25

Monday, January 25th, 2021 - KX Storm Team Morning Forecast - Dave Holder

Jesse White

ND National Guard Returns

Plays of the Week

Emergency car kit

Car seats & coats

Minot Park improvements

Class B Basketball

WDA Basketball

College basketball

WDA Hockey

Mike Dandrea's Full Forecast 1/23/2021

FNF pt 2

FNF Pt 1

Ohio family grateful for pardon from President Trump

vaccine mixing

Covid & Heart

Vaccine Notification

More Video

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

KX News Trending Stories

Latest Stories

More Local News