Improper chimney use can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning

Local News

If you’re planning on firing up your chimney anytime soon, you may want to do a few things first.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention over 400 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and some of those are caused by improper chimney use.

If your chimney is damaged on the inside, or even if it’s clogged or blocked with leaves or soot, carbon monoxide can build up in your home and can be extremely dangerous. We spoke to the Minot Rural Fire Department fire chief who says carbon monoxide poisoning isn’t the only thing you should be worried about.

“During the winter months, when you’re burning a lot of wood, there will be build up in the chimney. If it starts to plug up everything just burns hotter and hotter and there is a very good chance of a chimney fire,” said the Minot Rural Fire Chief.

He recommends you have your chimney swept once a year before using it to warm up your home.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Stories

More Local News

Recent Videos

Minot Girl's Hockey

Minot Wrestling

Real ID Deadline

Minot Exec. Orders for Hospitality

Buddy Games

KX Convo: Mikalah Auer

KX Storm Team Full Evening Forecast w/Tom Schrader 11/23

Holiday Plans

Fighting Over Sioux

ATW: COVID & Athletes

Thanksgiving Plans

Air Force Nurses

ATW: Century Football

ATW: Minot Precautions

Boutique Hub

Tom's Monday Afternoon #OneMinuteForecast 11/23

Small Business Saturday

NDC NOV 23

Monday, November 11th, 2020 - KX Storm Team Morning Forecast - Dave Holder

Plays of the week - November 22

More Video

KX News Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss