Kitchen grease fire damages Minot duplex

Local News

A kitchen grease fire is to blame for damage to a duplex in northwest Minot Monday evening.

Around 6 p.m., fire crews were called to 435 2nd Avenue NW for a grease fire on a stovetop.

Firefighters were able to quickly locate and extinguish the blaze within minutes of arriving.

No one was injured in the fire.

Fire officials remind the public that 50 percent of all residential fires are cooking fires.

They also advise that water is not the way to extinguish a grease fire — covering the flame with a lid or using baking soda to smother the fire are far better options.

“Cover the pan with a lid or you can use baking soda if you have it nearby. Sometimes it takes a little bit longer to get to. But, the best thing to do is call 911 and make sure we can get there or be on the way in order to keep that fire contained to the kitchen area and evacuate the house as soon as possible,” said Batallion Chief Austin Burns.

Burns says another important thing is to make sure your smoke detectors are working.

In fact, the smoke detector is the very thing that saved this family by alerting them of the fire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Local Sports News

More Local Sports

Latest State News

See More State News

Latest National News

More National News

Featured on KXNET.COM

More Don't Miss

KX News Trending Stories