YHF: Not all flossers created equal

Local News

In today’s Your Health First, flossing — you either do it, or you don’t do it enough.

If you are a flosser, a dentist we spoke to said it’s important to use the correct tools.

Brushing alone only reaches 60 percent of the tooth’s surface. Flossing gets the other 40 percent.

He said using string floss reaches below the gum line and removes the bacteria. Floss picks are good for when you’re on the run and need to get something out.

“Some people have bacteria, or sometimes they have only the problem in certain areas because the deeper those pockets are, the more the bacteria will change in those certain areas to a more anaerobic bacteria,” said Lindell Kemmet, dentist.

“If you just went down into that area, disrupted those anaerobic bacteria, you could actually pull those anaerobic bacteria around the mouth and start inoculating other areas.”

Kemmet said a water flosser can help flush out the bacteria but it shouldn’t be used as an alternative to flossing.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recent Videos

High School Basketball

Beulah Boy's Basketball

MLK Day

Vaccine Scam

KX Convo: Rep. Kelly Armstrong

Long-term Care Bill

KX Storm Team Full Evening Forecast w/Tom Schrader 1/18

Drinking Bill

Tobacco Bill

Quilting Group

ATW: Deonte Martinez

ATW: Cale Ibach

ATW: Dave Zittleman

After the Whistle: Inside the Play

Amber's Monday Morning #OneMinuteForecast 1/18

Light & scattered snow today and tonight

NDC JAN 18

After the Whistle: Jocelyn Julson

Plays of the week

Dickinson Gymnastics

More Video

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

KX News Trending Stories

Latest Stories

More Local News