At 10:30 this morning, an individual using a post hole digger in their backyard hit a natural gas line that started a fire.
According to Tom Doering, the Morton County Emergency Manager, the fire was similar to flaring, shooting natural gas 20 to 30 feet into the air.
Authorities evacuated one block of a residential area in Hebron. They went door to door, speaking to residents from North Avenue to Summit Avenue, asking them to evacuate the area.
Montana Dakota Utilities was able to shut off the gas line at about 2:30 p.m., shortly thereafter residents were told they could return to their homes.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
MDU is working on getting the gas restored. Some residents will be without gas for a few hours while MDU continues to fix the line.
Residents are reminded to call before you dig. The number is 8-1-1.