Here’s what’s happening at the State Capitol today:
- The House will vote on a bill that would raise the tax on a pack of cigarettes to 84 cents. Currently, that tax is 44 cents per pack, the third lowest rate in the country.
- The Senate will vote on SB 2303, which would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the list of protections from housing and employment discrimination. The Senate Judiciary Committee gave the bill a 5-to-1 “do not pass” recommendation on Thursday.
- A vote is planned for SB 2136, which would add a class on the Bible to the list of available electives in public and private schools.
- Senators will also vote on SB 2141, which would give $5,000 to anyone born in North Dakota, made available when that person reaches age 18.
- A House committee is considering a bill to legalize industrial hemp. That hearing is at 9:00 AM in the Peace Garden Room. The bill has an emergency clause, meaning it would go into effect immediately if passed in both chambers.